Thursday, December 16, 2004

Moving Day

I'm up early today after a couple of days in bed with a sinusy cold that has now moved to my chest. It's one of those days where I'd rather stay in bed a little longer, but life intrudes. Will and I are going to help Mandy pack up their one-bedroom apartment so her parents can move her to her 3 bedroom house a few cities away. It won't take long to pack, and I can't imagine why she needs my help. But Jake wants me to go. I don't mind, really.

Mandy is used to having her family's involvement in things. I don't recall ever asking my mother for help in moving. I really don't mind, but it's a different way that I'm not familiar with.

Mandy also needs me to come to Memphis with her and help her sell the van to Carmax. They got the van for free, so all they get would be profit. But I think they'll be in for a shock at how low Carmax is going to go on it. Jake doesn't want to let it go that low, and I know it will be a point of contention between them if she sells it that cheap. I offered to take it to my house and sell it, but the logistics of getting it there are going to be difficult. I guess I'll just be encouraging and helpful, and help Mandy walk away if necessary.

Jon wants me to come on a carriage ride with him while I'm in Memphis. How in the world I will do that and drive all the way home and see Lemony Snicket with Will and Charles is beyond me. I don't suppose I'll get to see Lemony Snicket tomorrow. But I really want to. Will and I have been looking forward to this day for a long time, and he gets to do it with Charles. But I won't.

I thought juggling my kids' needs when they were little was hard. Jon demands my attention but insists I give it to him from 350 miles away. Will is ignored enough in the day to day while I attempt to get things done, like housework or cleaning out the car. Jake...he's the one I keep thinking I've left behind somewhere. I came out of work the other day to go home, and my mind went through some sort of gathering sequence. I mentally "counted heads", getting orientation to where I was and where my family was and what was next. I found myself reaching behind to grab Jake's hand, because in my head I momentarily realized that I didn't know where he is. I panicked, and then righted myself, but still, I reached back and felt around me as if I were looking for something. It must have been weird to see. The rising surreal panic was weird to feel.

Having a pity party won't help. Better go pack some clothes.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home